I HAVE PICTURES!!!!
Two nights from now I'll be starting my second course in cake decorating and I am just now posting my cake pictures! Sorry. Anyway, here is what I've been working on.
Each week we brought in a cake, frosted and ready to go, we learned a new technique each class and then had to apply it to our cake. We had to make our cake and make our own frosting. The cake-not a problem. The frosting, however, looked a bit less crazy while watching our teacher do it in class! :) Each time you did a cake, we had to make a double batch of frosting using her recipe. Then separate the two batches into three equal parts and make them each a slightly different consistency, so they can each be used for the many different techniques. Then color them. My first time, my kitchen looked like someone robbed us and decided to be crazy cruel and dump all of my baking ingredients all over the kitchen floor! Whoops! And that was three hours later! After doing this now four times, it has gotten much easier and a little faster.
My first ever attempt at frosting a cake this way... the "correct" way. Again, looked a little easier watching our instructor.
Here's me in class, just after learning how to use the star tip (#21 I think). I wasn't crazy about the green heart, but that was the color I had made in that consistency (which the teacher told me I had made too thick).
This is my first finished product! #1 Lemon flavored cake with almond flavored frosting. I think I haven't been prouder of a cake before or since this cake.
Here's my second cake. #2 Double fudge cake with almond flavored frosting. This one is my least favorite out of my cakes. I really didn't like the shells technique (the purple at the bottom).However, these drop flowers were soo simple. I'll be doing that again on another cake.
Here are my first attempts at roses...boo...not as easy as it looks, apparently.In the next course, they will be introducing a new way, a possibly simpler way of making roses. I look forward to that. To do a rose, you have to make a mound of frosting as your base on a rose nail, complete it by attaching rose petals, then gently lift with sisscors to a place to dry out while you make other roses. Here's a few of my first "roses", can you guess which one was the teachers?
Here is my friend's cake on rose night/ final night
Here's my third and final cake in course1. #3 Lemon again with almond flavored frosting, my favorite combo thus far.
Here I am just after receiving my certificate of completion! While it doesn't say expert or anything, I was so proud.See next photo....
Susan did really well! Her cakes already look professionally done! She's had a bit more practice, having to make three birthday cakes. We each have committed to making two cakes for a cake walk I'm organizing for work, for the day of the carnival, June 18th.
Susan and I went out to dinner together Tuesday night and then headed back to sign up for our next course (and to shop for a few additional supplies). After signing up, we each received a coupon for half off our next purchase. Tomorrow is the first day we can use them and we will be purchasing our student kits 1/2 off! Yay!
This has been so fun, a little frustrating at times, but fun! It's not a terribly expensive hobby, there are always new things to try out and it's all edible! :) I am looking forward to learning some great recipes for the cake itself and looking even farther ahead, I can't wait until we get to do fondant cakes!










No comments:
Post a Comment