Sunday, March 28, 2010

Texas Township Fire Department Annual Award Banquet

All of the department families gathered last night to celebrate 2009's accomplishments and award the firefighters who went above and beyond the call of duty. Frank and family made an elaborate dinner for us all, including seafood alfredo and prime rib! Yum! Last night was also the night they presented Dan with his retirement certificates. This was bittersweet; I got a little emotional, especially when they read all that he had done for the department and gave him a standing ovation afterward. I did manage to get some good pictures, though.

We walked in and saw this cake they had ready...



Dan with the two fire chiefs, after being presented with his Meritorious Service Medal for outstanding achievements throughout his firefighting career


Dan with the other Lieutenants, after being presented with his Lieutenant helmet


Dan being presented with his Resolution from the County Supervisor, for his exemplary service to the community


Dan after receiving his commemorative retirement plaque


and his retirement axe that will eventually be something we can hang on the wall


Chief Corfman, Chief Williams and Lieutenant Triemstra



Firefighters N. Kirk and S. Potter receiving their Life saving Medals for the April 2009 house fire


Lieutenant Zlomek receiving his Fire Dept. Achievement Medal for conducting various successful programs, including Camp 911 for kids (dressed down because he was the chef as well)


Firefighters I. Bilancio, S. Potter, K. Smith, M. Miller and F. Zlomek receiving their Life Saving Assist Award for the April 2009 house fire--all good friends of ours ;)


D. Ryder receiving his Lieutenant badge as he then takes Dan's old position


Former Lieutenant Triemstra and New Lieutenant Ryder


Time to eat! Mike and Dan


Mike, Ira and Robert--fun guys!


Awe!


The Zlomek chefs, Janet and Zoe!


Sherman and Dan


Fun with frosting


Dan and the majority of his squad


All firefighters- most of them anyway


A close up of Dan's retirement plaque


After dinner we headed out for a bon-fire and smores. Sitting around the fire and laughing with everyone was so great. I think that's when it hit me-- we are longer a part of the dept. While it won't be quite the same, we will still hang out with our friends from the department. It was the perfect way to really tie everything up. A casual bon-fire that I'll never forget and cherish always. Seems silly, I know. Dan is anxious to get everything up on his wall before his Dad comes back into town next week.
I am so proud of Dan and enjoyed seeing how proud he made his department. These guys risk their lives daily for everyone else. Dan and I will never forget our invaluable lessons in life bestowed upon us by our TTFD family, the hilarious stories, the sad stories, his first time in a fire truck and then my first time in a fire truck. It was a big part in the story of us and we will cherish those memories.

div>

No comments:

Post a Comment