Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cooking and Flying!

The second weekend of this month, Dan was at a wedding for a long weekend in Wisconsin. Long meaning he and his brother and Dad left on Wednesday to take the long, leisurely route to the wedding location. They stopped to do some hiking and sightseeing stuff, things that truly I could live without. I missed him very much. I know he missed me very much. I couldn't wait for him to come back, I was getting lonely. I was supposed to have to work extra hours to cover for everyone else at work, but that fell through. So, I waited.

Well as soon as he got home, he started telling me he had a surprise for me. Later in the week it became a surprise weekend and he wouldn't budge. Except he asked if I like cooking...and he asked if I like flying. So, naturally I googled "cooking and flying", which resulted in what was actually an interesting blog called The Flying Kitchen. Not anything like what we were doing, but interesting reading.

Anyway, I packed for every scenario: a weekend at the beach, a weekend at a lodge where we would have to boil our water before we drink it, a weekend without tv, and so of course I brought every type of shoe I could think of.

Dan took the second half of Friday off from work and we left town, after making a quick stop at the flooring shop to help Duane order the flooring for the bathroom remodel. Ever have to go somewhere and not know where? It's a strange and sort-of unsettling feeling. We passed billboards advertising that the circus was in town...I worried this might be our destination. We drove north, passing Grand Rapids, which led me to believe he was taking me up North to Traverse City, for a romantic getaway. No, we turned East. Then, for miles, nothing. I could see for miles and I saw nothing. Hum.

What is this? An oasis of sorts? All of the sudden, I saw this resort lodge place off to my left. Before I could even ask Dan if that's where we were going, he gave it away with his smile. :)


We would be staying at the Soaring Eagle Resort and Casino for the weekend! Eeee! This place was gorgeous! We got a beautiful first floor suite that had a door that led to the courtyard, fountain and the outdoor hot tub! Then I learned that Dan had signed us up for a package deal, which included a couples massage on Saturday, $100 in food credits to use at any of their restaurants, and $100 each in free slot play at the casino! AND, the cooking bit he gave me earlier? Well, we got tickets to see Food Network star Tyler Florence's new show on Friday night. That was funny because the poor guy had some malfunctioning kitchen appliances.

Our massage was amazing and so relaxing. We ate until we feared we'd have to roll each other back to our room, somehow never successful at dodging the ice cream and doughnut shop each time.And the flying "clue" ?? The resorts name "Soaring Eagle". I would have never gotten this in a million years, and I have to admit, it was fun being completely surprised. Dan is so sweet think to celebrate our anniversary a few weeks early, and smart to right after I'd been missing him. We had such a fun weekend together!

And now for an exciting week....drum roll, please.....Red Carpet Premiere Week! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment