Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wisdom Teeth...

I was told a while ago to start planning on getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Of course, I had been putting it off. I think there's nothing worse than mouth pain. I had four teeth pulled before they could even fit me for my braces back in middle school. And, the two years with braces were painful and annoying. Still Dan and I had planned on waiting to tackle this until after we were married and I was able to use his better insurance.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out a week and a half ago. Of course, I hadn't planned on doing this three days after we moved; it somehow just worked it's way into our already hectic February. I had been waking up with a lot of jaw/tooth pain, so I went to the dentist. He cleaned out an area I told him was really bothering me, which was an impacted wisdom tooth. He told me there's just no room for them to come in and that's why I was experiencing so much pressure. I left with an oral surgeon's number. I figured I'd have to wait like a month for an appointment, but I was able to get in the very next day. The next available appointment was mid-March and I didn't want to wait until then. It was best to just get it over with.

My face didn't blow up like I figured it would. It swelled up, but awkwardly, like down by my chin and under an eye. I still have a nasty looking bruise on my arm where they put in my IV. Over all, the pain meds took care of the pain, although I would wake up in the middle of the night needing another dose. The most frustrating part is not being able to eat what I want! Yeah, it was funny getting used to talking at first. Yeah, it was frustrating not being to enunciate because I couldn't get my jaw open. But the food.....oh, man, by far the most frustrating part! I was so sick of sipping on chicken broth, applesauce, jello, juice....this was my diet for like five days straight. The night before my follow-up appointment, I made us some alfredo and I was able to slowly eat that. The surgeon told me everything looked fine and I could start eating whatever I felt comfortable eating, cautioning me ease into things with my jaw. I took that as let's try Crispy Buffalo Wings......I paid for that about an hour later...worst pain yet! That was Friday!

I'm glad I did this, though. It kind-of put a kink in our moving/transition plan, but it was bearable. I already feel like all the pressure in my mouth is gone. Hopefully, this will help with some headaches. I'm looking forward to eating a nice, big and thick steak!

1 comment:

  1. An Amanda who can't eat what she wants to is one grumpy Amanda!

    ReplyDelete