Friday, February 27, 2009

So long, 6117 Apt F.....

Well, it's the end of an era. We say good-bye to the apartment today. Well, actually, I said my goodbye's last night. Dan's turning in the key's and parking passes in a few hours. Lot's of good memories in that place. I actually shed a few tears leaving there last night after cleaning it up.
Apparently, it meant more to me than I thought it would.

Since as long as I can remember, I've always said I wanted to experience living on my own before I got married. Looking back now, I can't believe I made it. I did it. I lived there, by myself for a year and a half before Dan and I got married. It was my home. I'm sure there are a lot of positive things that happened while living there, but as I'm trying to recall them, all I can think about are the few negatives that I won't miss....1. The neighbors. No one seems to care how loud things are. 2. I won't miss the front door to the building slamming shut. 3. I won't miss the flight of stairs up to my apartment. For those of you who don't know, I fell down them last Christmas and broke my wrist. Bringing up the groceries was never as easy task. 4. No counter space in the darn kitchen!

All in all, it was a place of firsts. It's where I tried out many recipes on an unlevel electric stove-top. It's where I recovered from gall bladder surgery. It's where I spent two Christmas' away from home. It's where I rode out a few nasty storms by myself. It's where I painted a few paintings. It's where my love for Jon ad Kate plus 8 started. It's where I had countless meals of hamburger helper while sitting on the crappy couch. I remember the sense of accomplishment I had the first couple times I asked for a rent receipt. I know it sounds funny, but those days I am so thankful for. I really did it, on my own, with very little help (just the way I wanted it) and I'm proud. I felt like Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City, saying good-bye to the one place I learned so much in. Now, it's on to a much larger place where my husband and I will call our new home. I am anxious to get settled. (We've already painted.) :)

So, farewell, old friend. May you be a place where the next single girl will feel on top of the world using an old, unleveled kitchen stove. :)

1 comment: